L-Arginine, also refered to as Arginine, is a vital amino acid that plays a role in a number of physiological functions in the body, but it is best known for its cardiovascular benefits. In the body, L-Arginine converts to nitric oxide, which relaxes the blood vessels, regulates blood vessel tone and flexibility. This improves blood flow limits muscle fatigue and increases endurance, which in-turn reduces stress on the heart, improves circulation and lowers blood pressure.
Nitric Oxide increases the O2-carrying efficiency, thus increasing oxygen delivery to the body’s cells, further evidence of the value of Nitric Oxide and hence L-Arginine supplementation. In the absence of oxygen, muscles do not perform at their optimal capacity. Oxygen greatly increases the efficiency, by which you can produce energy to power the body, through cellular respiration.
The Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1998 was awarded to
Ferid Murad, Robert F. Furchgott, and Louis Ignarro
The discovery of the biological functions of nitric oxide came as a complete surprise. Nitric oxide was named "Molecule of the Year" in 1992 by the journal Science. The Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1998 was awarded to Ferid Murad, Robert F. Furchgott, and Louis Ignarro for the discovery of the signaling properties of nitric oxide. Blood vessels use NO to signal the surrounding smooth muscle to relax, thus dilating the arteries, increasing blood flow, and maintaining normal blood pressure. These blood vessels deliver oxygen and nutrients to, as well as remove waste products from, every cell in your body.
* Relax and widen blood vessels
* Increase blood circulation
* Maintain blood pressure within the normal range
* Reduce cardiovascular aging
Nitric Oxide keeps your cardiovascular system young by making it elastic, clean and fit. Optimizing NO production is like having your cardiovascular system do yoga every day.
* Promotes immune system health
* Acts as a neurotransmitter, which may be involved in memory.
* Facilitates the development and maintenance of erectile function.
A large percentage of people are deficient in their production and/or actions of nitric oxide, placing them at increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Fortunately, compounds like Arginine and antioxidants can increase the body's own production and/or actions of Nitric Oxide.
22 reasons to use L-Arginine
1. L-Arginine is one thousand times more powerful than any naturally occurring antioxidant in the
body. L-arginine’s antioxidant properties support various body system and may protect against
heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes, as well as slowing premature aging.
2. Offers wide-ranging cardiovascular support, including controlling blood pressure and plaque
formation. Nitric oxide keeps arteries relaxed and pliable for normal blood pressure, preventing
hypertension and angina.
3. Enhances memory, particularly long-term memory, and may help to reverse the effects of dementia
and Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Boosts human growth hormone (HGH) production, which has anti-aging properties.
5. Enhances communication of messenger cells between nerves and the brain.
6. May help improve immune function and fight bacterial infections.
7. May help in the treatment and prevention of diabetes since many disease complications, including
poor circulation and blindness, are vascular in nature. L-Arginine is also found to regulate insulin
secretion in the pancreas.
8. It may inhibit the division and proliferation of cancer cells.
9. Helps with cholesterol control by lowering serum and LDL cholesterol levels.
10. Enhances male sexual performance by treating vascular erectile dysfunction (ED).
11. L-Arginine’s anticoagulant abilities reduces clotting and lower heart attack- and stroke risk.
12. Reduces pregnancy-related hypertension, a risk factor for both the expecting mother and the
13. Useful in the treatment of asthma by opening pulmonary pathways for easier breathing and the
treatment of lung disorders.
14. Relaxes hypertonic sphincter muscles, preventing and healing hemorrhoids.
15. Boosts lean muscle mass and preserves bone density by encouraging HGH production, which also
leads to a reduction in fatty tissue. Because of these properties, it may be useful in weight
management and strength training.
16. Can help offset cardiovascular and lung damage caused by tobacco use, since nitric oxide levels in
smokers are less than half of those found in non-smokers.
17. Helps to accelerate wound healing and post surgery recovery. Research has shown it is useful in
treating burn wounds and stimulates wound healing in the elderly.
18.May be useful in enhancing athletic performance due to its ability to boost exercise tolerance, its
beneficial effect on the lungs, and its effect on HGH levels. Which helps with building lean muscle
19. It may be used to improve the function of the prostate.
20.May prevent and possible reverse the effects of osteoporosis by positively affecting bone mass.
21. It has been used in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and to reduce the occurrence of
ulcers especially stress related ,without affecting gastric acid production.
22.May improve renal function and slow the progression of renal disease and age-related chronic renal
failure. L-Arginine’s protective effect on the kidneys may also benefit those with diabetes.